Monday, August 10, 2009

Our New Life in Seaside

I'm sorry this post is a little late. I have very good reasons (other than being a horrible blogger) for procrastinating. First of all, we got internet not too long ago. Secondly, unpacking and settling in has taken longer than I thought it would. Lastly and most importantly, I'm pregnant and of course, super sick AGAIN. I was hoping this time things would be a little easier, but they're not. Neils has been an amazing help and so understand. Max has learned patience and to my horror, to "throw up" in bowls, trash cans and the toilet. Neils thinks it's so funny that he bends over and makes the throwing up sound. I feel terrible! Hopefully, we will BOTH be done with it very soon. :)

Anyway...

We are living in a small, retired military town called Seaside, which is located right next to Monterey. We live in a small 2 bedroom house that's located 2 houses away from a little playground and 10 minutes away from the beach. The size of the house is perfect for our little family. Everyone in the neighborhood and ward are super friendly and welcoming. Max is loving our frequent visits to the beach and the park. It's been around 70 degrees ever since we've been here, so we actually go out with pants and sometimes sweaters (we even use the heater at nights).
Max loves the sand



Even when there is no sand, he is just as happy playing with the dirt in front of our house :)


Neils is loving learning a new language. Arabic is different and hard, but he's enjoying the challenge. During his "pre-school" training, he had to learn self-defense and fighting techniques, which he loved! On friday, he came home so excited because there was one opening left to be certified to teach it and because he asked, he got it. He wasn't as qualified as others, but because they got a chance to sign up and didn't and Neils showed interest, his sergeant gave the spot to him. So for the next two months, he is going to have this combative certification training 3 times a week at 5 am. He is really looking forward to it.

Monterey is beautiful and we are enjoying exploring a new part of California. We, of course, miss our family and friends, but hope to be able to visit soon.

9 comments:

Mike and Katie said...

I'm so glad you guys are doing so well with this new adventure for your family :) CONGRATULATIONS on the pregnancy, that is so exciting. I hope you get feeling better soon.

Courtney said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Im so happy for you! I do hope that you feel better soon but have to admit that I laughed a little when reading about Max! haha! Keep us posted~

Michelle said...

Yeah I am so happy for you! Max is going to love having a sibling. It sounds like you guys are doing really well, Seaside sounds wonderful! I miss you guys so much. I really hope you feel better soon. When are you due? Max is just as cute as ever. Love you!

Eliza said...

Congrats on your news!! That is very exciting! I'm sorry you are not feeling well. Your stories of Max reminded me of when I was pregnant with Gracie and Matthew would come into the bathroom while I was throwing up and ask me "Mommy, you ok?" It melted my heart. But I hope you will not have too suffer much longer. It's so good to read what you guys are up to. I've really enjoyed your comments on my blog. Sounds like Neils is doing great and that you guys are getting all settled in. What a fun adverture for your little family! We love you guys!

Kindra said...

How exciting!!! I am glad to hear that you guys are settling in well and finding things to love about your new home. So sorry to hear your sick....but that really is too cute that Max is finding ways to be involved. He will be a great little big brohter. So good to hear from you!!

(Macie keeps looking for you at church. She tells me you will be back soon and so she will just wait by your sisters. We all miss you guys. Love Ya!)

Tara said...

I just showed Scarlet your blog and immediately as she saw Max she started laughing. I know she has to miss him!

Congrats to you guys! I hope the Dr. will be able to give you something to make you feel better!

Sounds like you are getting along just great. We are so glad to hear it. Love you guys.

Hannah + 4 said...

Your PREGNANT! And I find out on here!!!!! ha Jk I'm so excited for you!!!! Do you know when your due? I'm glad you like it there, if you ever need to talk call me! Seriously I miss you. How lucky that you live that close to the beach! I haven't been to the beach in just about 3 years. Max is so cute! Whenever I go places with Avree she always asks me whose going and she will start naming people and Max is always one of them! I hope you start to feel better soon! Congrats! Love you!

Jamie said...

Emilie! im so happy for you guys! Max is adorable and getting so big i cant believe he is 18months! i love his red hair! too cute!!! And wow congrats on being prego! im so sorry you are so sick i hope it passes soon.. You are such a trooper! Im glad California is working out for you guys! Everything sounds great! I excited for neils! Im glad things are going great for you! Thanks for you post. Its good to keep in touch. love ya!

Grannie Wright said...

WOW!!!! We really miss you guys. We will plan another trip when I am feeling better. It really sounds like a blast to come to. Any where you are would be a blast.
I love seeing pictures of Max. Moving is extremely challenging with a brain tumor. Need I say more? We really miss you and love you.