Sunday, June 28, 2009

Neils' Graduation


This week Neils graduated from Basic Training. After ten weeks of one 20 minute phone call each sunday and only letters, I was able to attend his graduation and spend some much needed time with him. Out of the 200 soldiers in his "company", he won the Battalion Commander's Inspection Award. It just basically means that he excelled in every area and is an example of a great soldier.  

As much as Neils enjoyed boot camp, he is ready to get going with his training and be back with his family. He arrived in Monterey, California late friday night and found out he will be learning Arabic. We still don't know for sure when Max and I will join him, but we are guessing 3-4 weeks. It is still hard for me to imagine being without my wonderful family and friends close by, but I try not to think about it too much. 


Neils in formation

Neils with his good friends Coffie and Tew


Neils with his bunk mates

11 comments:

Eliza said...

We are so proud of him! It makes it so much more real to actually have a brother serving in the armed forces. Wow Arabic, that's crazy!!! Living away from family and friends is hard but it can be good in some ways and will make the times that you do get to visit so much more special. I'm so happy for you all, for Neils getting to be done with boot camp and for you and Max getting to be back with him soon. Good luck in this new adventure!

Randy said...

It is so great to hear that he is doing well! Congratulations Neils and good luck!! We are so proud!

Mike and Katie said...

That is so great that you were able to see him. That is crazy that you will be moving to California, and Wow, Neils will be learning Arabic? That is totally crazy! We should totally go out to lunch or something before you leave. Maybe you me and Tanya should all get together and catch up before you head out on your new family adventure :) Let me know what you would want to do.

Hardwick Family said...

Wow Emily!! Congrats on the graduation! And that is good to here that Neils is doing so great! But I cant imagine how hard it is for you right now! I hope you guys will all be reunited soon though!

Tara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tara said...

Wow. I had not heard he was learning Arabic yet. I did get to talk to him on Thursday night. It was good to hear from him. It's so weird to actually see him as a soldier, to me it almost feels as if he was gone on a mission for the church, but after seeing the pictures the reality sets in more. I can't say I am surprised about the award, that sounds like Neils. We are proud of you guys and all the sacrifices you have BOTH made. I too am quite nervous about moving away! I think I can relate there a litte bit.

Vaughn said...

Way to go Neails! That is awesome. So when can he communicate like normal i.e. cell phone etc.? I have heard rumors that he can now but not totally sure.

Love you all!

Hannah + 4 said...

Em! I haven't talked to you since you've been back, I was wondering how it went. That is awesome he got that award! I'm SO sad that you will be leaving. But I know it's what you guys have to do for now. We need to get together more before you leave. Cali isn't to far, it will give me a reason for vacation! Congrats on graduating Neils! Em call me!

Bre 10-E said...

that is so exciting that you got to go to his graduation! i have to second eliza by saying how proud we all are of him! it will be sad to have you guys leave but it will be an exciting new journey for you and your family! just remember to keep us all posted!!! good luck!

☂niki. said...

wow, look at him! we knew he would do well.

i'm so happy you finally got to see him again.

you're strong em! i don't know if i could do it.

Grannie Wright said...

I know this comment is extremely slow in coming, but here goes... I can never say enough of how proud I am of my children. Neils, we always knew how smart you are. Congrats!!!! on the arabic thing and the whole army thing. I know that our visits will become more special. WE love you and Emilie and Max sooo much. Love Grannie